How to Create a Safe School Environment

Example of how gossip creates a toxic environment.
Image by Sofia Hernandez

High school can be the most challenging, and overwhelming years of your adolescent life. Drama, stress, grades, and so much more can ruin a positive high school experience. Sometimes an overwhelming environment, or a negative space can ruin one’s energy to do well in school, participate in group activities, or open up to people.

These factors can completely ruin a positive high school experience, so here are some tips that we’ve realized can help give students a positive and enjoyable 4 years!

Don’t participate/interact in drama

Participating in drama or interacting with drama could cause it to spread faster, or cause unnecessary issues or cause the problem to be much worse. It could not only harm other people, but end up harming you in the long run. 

School counselor, Jasmine DeHaro says, “I think to avoid [drama] just ask yourself does this need to involve me or not…and then figuring out who you are because you are going to be pulled [into] a bunch of situations like this.”

If you have someone bothering you, or are clashing with someone, don’t make the situation worse by starting rumors or gossiping behind someone’s back. Go to a teacher or counselor and inform them about what is going on. 

Speaking up if you see something

Speaking up if you see something happening is one of the most important things to keep a safe school environment. Don’t wait until the last moment to then tell an adult or a teacher what is happening. You never know how the situation could be affecting the victim, and getting them help could help them can be extremely beneficial. It can stop the person that is tormenting them along with giving them the courage and feeling that they aren’t alone. Don’t be afraid to speak up for others, even if that person wouldn’t appreciate you for it. They will realize how standing up for them is beneficial. 

Deharo adds, “ If you have any type of concerns about you or a friend or whatever, the person that has these concerns has to take the first step.”

Reaching out for help on your own is also beneficial for your own mental health, and you  have to be the one to make that first step. You can’t help someone if your mind isn’t in the right place. Putting your well being before others isn’t selfish, it’s just self-care. It may be scary for you to reach out for help, in fear that others may judge, but it is worse being stuck in a never ending spiral. 

Don’t talk down to anyone

You might have the warped impression that talking back or talking down to someone is standing up for yourself, but in reality, it also makes you part of the problem. There’s a major difference between defending yourself and putting someone down to make yourself seem like the bigger person. You should never treat someone as less than human, even if they aren’t the most pleasant person to be around. And your attitude towards someone could be influenced by friends, or the people you hang out with. 

Junior Angelo Karsouny said to “watch who your friends are, [and] watch your surroundings. Don’t be involved with people who you know are bad for you.”

Don’t talk down about others behind their back

As mentioned previously, you shouldn’t talk down to someone to their face, let alone gossipping behind their back. Sophomore Adam Nguyen said, “I feel like [talking behind people’s back] creates an environment where people think that it’s okay.” 

It causes problems for not only yourself, but also the person you’re talking about. Why would you ever bring someone down to make yourself feel better? 

High school is a long stretch of 4 stressful years of our life. It is already challenging on its own, and unnecessary drama doesn’t help. Just remember to steer clear from drama, keep a positive attitude and hang around people who you think have a positive influence on your life. Never be afraid to speak up either!