Substitute Teachers – How Do Students Really Feel Towards Them?

There are many different words to describe substitute teachers. What is the first word that comes to your mind?
Image by Samantha Ordanes

After a recent incident at Cameron Elementary School where a substitute teacher was watching inappropriate videos in front of a class, it’s common to wonder how students really feel about substitute teachers.

Students have mixed emotions about the substitute teachers here at MECA. Eleventh grader, Monia Masri recounts a strange encounter with a substitute who “excluded” her from group work. The substitute said students were not allowed to speak to one another, but the assignment was a group discussion. Instead of being adaptable, the substitute forced Masri to sit next to her during class. “I sat there next to her not doing any work ‘cause how am I supposed to do a group assignment with no group,” explained Masri. 

Monia’s twin sister, Maab Masri has noticed that “some subs have been really rude for no reason. I just feel like they’re on a power trip when they’re subbing for a class, and they’re just really rude and controlling and even more strict than our teachers normally.” 

Other than being more controlling, students have noticed that some substitute teachers use the time meant to teach students to talk about themselves and all their life accomplishments. 

Furthermore, junior Samantha Soto mentions how she once, “had a substitute who talked about how they became a millionaire and helped a bunch of children at multiple schools.” She continues to describe how the substitute teacher bragged about his “charity” work rather than teaching the designated material which was left by the teacher.

Situations like these only cause curious students to wonder if unruly substitute teachers are actually dealt with. From what Soto heard, “he lied about the whole thing and concerned teachers made sure he would never come back.”

Apart from teachers concerns, the school district also has preliminary precautions put in place when hiring substitute teachers.

Prior to hiring substitute teachers to teach a class, the West Covina School District (WCUSD), they have to go through an extensive screening process and training. 

According to an email sent to parents by the WCUSD’s Superintendent, Emy Flores, the WCUSD’s hiring process includes eight different types of training which even substitute teachers have to complete in order to teach a class. 

Along with this, substitute teachers have to go through a background check through the Department of Justice where they are fingerprinted and have to take a drug test according to Dr. McDonnell.

Despite these extensive measures to ensure substitute teachers adhere to their obligations, there have been times where substitute teachers acted meaner than necessary. 

However, while there have been times that substitute teachers act harsh towards a class, students also understand that their behavior can sometimes be more than annoying. 

Students really tend to behave differently than they would if the teacher was actually there. I would be mad too.

— Samantha Soto

Even though students are partly to blame for the chaos that can ensue under the watch of a substitute teacher, there are still expectations that students have for the substitute. 

Monia Masri explains how she believes a substitute teacher should act. “They’re a sub for a reason, it’s not just a class for you. You’re a teacher, you have to act like a teacher and be like the teacher.”

On the other hand, Maab Masri shares a more positive note, “I think a great sub is one that gets along with students and relates to them.” Masri does feel that we have had substitute teachers with these attributes teach here.

Ultimately, substitute teachers are hired for many different reasons but they all serve the same purpose. Students should feel both physically and emotionally safe with a substitute teacher. Overall, their learning should never feel stunted when there is a substitute teacher in the classroom. This issue is one that students hope to see resolved in the future.