The Student News Site of Mt. SAC Early College Academy

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

Cal Poly’s Victor Glover shooting for the stars! (literally)

Victor Jerome Glover is an astronaut who works with NASA. He is also a caring father of four and husband to Dionna Odom Glover. Victor was born in Pomona, California. He graduated from Ontario High School. Due to his work, he and his family tend to travel around the world for months at a time. For instance, he’s lived in places from Japan to Washington D.C,

Initially, he was planning to go to the University of Southern California however, he ended up getting his college education at Cal Poly Pomona! Many of MECA’s students are thinking about attending this college, and the freshmen class recently took a tour of the campus. Stories like these will help those contemplating whether or not to apply to or attend this school.  

2013 was the lucky year Glover was picked to officially become an astronaut. He has been a flight engineer, pilot, and an athlete. Glover was such a good athlete in fact, he got an Athlete of the Year award in 1994.  He obtained a bachelor’s degree in Science and has attended Air University and Naval Postgraduate School (NPS).

Glover had done pre-flight training in Florida and finished in Texas. This led him to earn his Wings of Gold in December 2002. He also accomplished getting a Space Systems Certificate from NPS. Overall, Glover collected more than 3,500 flight hours, over 400 carrier landings, and 24 combat missions. 

Not only did he become an astronaut in 2013, but he also got chosen to be one of eight members to be in the 21st NASA Class. 2018 was the year when he got chosen to be on a spaceflight mission. His specific job was to be a Crew-1 Pilot, and he ended up completing four spacewalks. 

Glover and his team are set to fly again in September 2025, his most recent space mission. The mission is called Artemis 2. Victor was chosen to be a pilot. He will be one of four members to take part in this flight. The purpose of this mission is to “confirm all of the spacecraft’s systems operate as designed with crew aboard in the actual environment of deep space” (NASA.gov). This mission will not be landing on the moon. However, it will be going around the moon which is an equally important task. 

Victor Glover was able to accomplish this all with his college education at Cal Poly Pomona. His achievements are very impressive, and it just goes to show that Cal Poly is a great school. Especially if you want to study engineering or be an athlete at an affordable price just like the amazing Victor Glover.