The Student News Site of Mt. SAC Early College Academy

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

West Covina, Home to My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend!

The very musical and funny show My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend just so happened to be filmed in West Covina. You can even say West Covina is one of the stars of the show! The story follows Rebecca Bunch, a crazy yet successful young woman, looking to find love in the beautiful city of West Covina. The show covers topics such as confidence in oneself and, of course, crazy ex-girlfriend stereotypes. 

Rebecca Bunch leaves everything behind in New York to go to West Covina. She wants to find her ex-boyfriend Josh Chan and make him fall in love with her again. The show itself is full of lively, bright colors, reflecting the lighthearted and fun essence of the show. The musical part of the show is also very colorful. The songs include breakout dance numbers, dynamic backgrounds, vibrant costumes, etc. 

Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna are the directors and creators, and Bloom also played the starring role of Rebecca. Aline was the screenwriter for Devil Wears Prada. Fun fact about Rachel Bloom: she married another cast member of My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Dan Gregor. Adam Schlesinger is one of the three songwriters on the show and was the bassist for ´000 rock band, Fountain of Wayne, which achieved fame in 2003 with their single “Stacy’s Mom.” The pilot episode was filmed by Marc Webb. Marc had previously directed The Amazing Spider-Man and 500 Days of Summer.

The show was very successful. It ran for four seasons, starting in 2015 and ending in 2019.  It ended up winning an Emmy, Golden Globe, and Critics Choice Award. Originally the series was planned to stream on Show Time however, it landed on CW when it was finally released. The second season can also be seen on the UK Netflix streaming platform. Currently, you can find it on Apple TV for free and multiple other services for a small fee. Each episode includes two to four original songs, mostly sung by Rebecca. 

One iconic part of the show is when Rebecca sings an original song titled ¨West Covina.” The song has catchy lyrics and dance moves.

Rachel Bloom talks about West Covina saying, The great thing about Southern California is it’s so diverse but full of chain restaurants.” Rachel also says, “Aline and I liked the idea of West Covina being a symbol for what America now is: a diverse group from all walks of life going to the same chain stores and restaurants.” 

The year the show premiered, the city council of West Covina gave the cast a key to the city. After that, they decided to make October 21st the official “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Day.”  This demonstrates just how dear this show is to West Covina. Although the fourth season ended in 2019, its memory still lives on, continuing to bring forth much laughter to its audience!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Academy Chronicle
$230
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mt. SAC Early College Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.