The Student News Site of Mt. SAC Early College Academy

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

Brits, Barbie Girls, and Brand New Relationships Unite in 2023

Image by Samantha Ordanes
As 2024 starts, we look back on all the chaotic events that made 2023 a memorable year!

January

2023 was already off to a chaotic, exciting start in the very first month. 

Prince Harry The Duke of Sussex released his first and only book titled, Spare. It was an autobiographical novel that extensively detailed all the fascinating parts of his childhood, and adult life, so far. This book was all over social media as many were shocked by the graphic details Prince Harry included in it.

Another person who shocked all was performer Doja Cat when she dressed like a bedazzled tampon at a Paris fashion show. 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle hold hands while the world watches them. (Image by Flickr)

February 

February kicked off with a kick-off and stunning performance by Rihanna at the Super Bowl. After the Super Bowl, she revealed that for months she wasn’t only preparing for the performance but also to have a new baby announcing that she was pregnant. 

March

This month started with disappointment from many who love Harry Styles as the media captured a messy kiss between Harry Styles and Emily Ratakowski.  

The world of Housewives went wild as news broke of the messy breakup between Ariana Madix and Tom Sandoval. They are both from the show Vanderpump Rules which airs on Bravo TV. Their breakup happened due to him cheating on her with her best friend, Raquel Leviss, who also stars in the show. Once a cheater, always a cheater, so let’s see how long the relationship between Sandoval and Leviss lasts.

Harry Styles performs for thousands of screaming fans. (Image by Wikimedia Commons)

April

The world’s dreamboat Timothee Chalamet, gets swept up by the the bonus Kardashian sister, Kylie Jenner. 

Crossing the boundary into the multiverse, Chalamet auditioned for the role of Peter Parker in “Spider Man: Homecoming.” (Image by Wikimedia Commons)

Gamers went crazy at the movie theater for the Super Mario Bros. Movie. It made a whopping 1.3 billion dollars at the box office. 

May

Viewers came from Under The Sea to watch their childhood mermaid dreams come to life in the much-anticipated live-action The Little Mermaid. However, even though many were ecstatic about this new adaptation, there was a lot of controversy regarding Ariel’s different appearance compared to the original animation.

June

This film took over the lives of many around the world. (Image by Gajiyan baloch Baloch)

June was a blast for many in more ways than one. On land, Marvel fans rushed to see Spider-man Across the Spider-verse and were more than impressed by the movie. In the deep blue sea, the Titan, a submersible created by OceanGate, imploded while looking for the Titanic wreckage. 

July

Pick your poison, Pink or Black? Are you a Barbie girl, or just Ken? Or, are you in your Oppenheimer era? This was the debate that took over the 2023 summer. People would either dress in pink or black to show support for their film of choice. It was exciting to see people so exhilarated to go to the movie theaters again. 

Are you a Barbie girl in your Barbie World? (Image by Printerval)

Another color people sported was purple as the Grimace shake took over people’s For You Page, as they rushed to McDonald’s to get a burst of the viral berry-flavored shake.

August

August slipped away as Swifties fled to Sofi stadium in Los Angeles to watch their “mother” (Taylor Swift) perform. 

Ariana Grande and Ethan Slater spark dating rumors after meeting on the set of Broadway musical, Wicked. News of their relationship came shortly after Grande and her husband separated (their divorce was not official until October). Slater filed for divorce from his wife of four years, Lily Jay, at the end of July 2023. Needless to say, this has been a messy relationship, so fans are curious to see what comes next. 

Grande singing her heart out, before her new relationship drama that is taking over the screens of many. (Image by Wikimedia Commons)

September 

Swifties have tuned in this season to support Swift’s boyfriend, Travis Kelce (which, by the way, is pronounced “Kels”.) (Image by Flickr)

That’s her man! Taylor Swift and tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs, Travis Kelce spark dating rumors as she attends a few of his games. Fans went wild, as the world of football and Swifties was quite the unexpected crossover.

October

“I always come back,” is a quote that Steve Raglan iconically said in the well-loved Five Nights at Freddie’s movie. Another person who can relate to this quote is Josh Hutcherson as edits/thirst traps of him constantly popped up on everyone’s feed and for you page. 

This film sparked a Josh Hutcherson revival.

Photo by: Basilisk Chewa Cyan https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ (Printerval) 

November

Fortnite players spent many nights playing, as it went back to the original map. (Image by Trusted Reviews)

November was both a good and bad month for people who are obsessed with British men. Harry Styles buzzed his brunette hair while Robert Pattinson and Suki Waterhouse announced that they are going to have a baby. On the other hand, many were swooning over Tom Blyth who portrayed President Snow in The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. 

The popular video game Fortnite, was in even higher demand as they released their OG map. Loyal players spent even more time than usual dedicated to gaming, as this brought them back to their season 1 days. 

December

Do you get the hype? (Image by Printerval)

This Christmas, Santa Claus was bombarded with people asking for Uggs boots, Stanleys, and trendy LEGO sets. People across America attempt to stay fashionable while keeping themselves hydrated. It was like the Hunger Games for the Stanleys as grown women tumbled each other for the last tumbler. 

These flower arrangements were the perfect gifts that never died. (Image by Flickr)