The Student News Site of Mt. SAC Early College Academy

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

Welcome to West Covina Home of the Good Burger!

Good Burger is a fun, energetic, hilarious, and overall great movie! Although meant for kids, many adults and even teenagers have found themselves cracking up while watching this movie. They started making Good Burger on March 9; it came out on July 25, 1997. 

When the new burger joint, Mondo Burger, opens up across the street, Good Burger’s customers start leaving. Our main characters Ed and Dexter Reed, employees of Good Burger try their best to save their beloved restaurant! While doing so, they encounter funny and exciting challenges. 

Twenty-six years later, the movie is still a massive success. It is so iconic they decided to make a sequel titled Good Burger 2. The new adventure we follow with Ed and Dexter consists of dealing with brand-new spontaneous and outgoing coworkers. 

Something that makes this movie even better is that it was filmed in West Covina. Unfortunately, however, the sequel was made in Rhode Island Avenue, Los Angeles. The actual Good Burger restaurant in the film was filmed at Peters El Loco which you can still visit today. Their main antagonist, Mondo Burger, is located in West Covina as well. You can still visit the actual location on Valinda Avenue. However, it is a house rather than a restaurant. 

If you look hard enough, you can see glimpses of West Covina in the movie. For example, next to Mondo Burger, you can see a sign for West Covina Family Dentistry. During the hilarious street chase with Ed and Dexter, they go down some major streets and even through neighborhoods. During this scene, you can also notice street names. You can see East Vine Avenue in a driving scene for the movie as they pass West Covina’s Regal Edwards Theater. There is even another sign which reads “Fricks Travel Adventure”; however, the business isn’t open anymore. The Rockview Dairy is another place you can still visit that happened to be in the movie as well. 

The movie was a massive success and generated roughly $23.7 million. The movie’s actors went on to do many other projects after Good Burger. Kenan Thomas, the actor of Dexter Reed, did productions like SNL. He was also nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award six times. 

Kel Mitchell, who plays Ed in Good Burger, also played T-Bone in Clifford the Big Red Dog and received two Emmy nominations for Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program. He is also an author, having written and published Blessed Mode and Prank Day.

Brian Robbins is the director of the movie. He became the CEO of Paramount and AwesomenessTV, a YouTube film company. He was also an actor at General Hospital.

When asked about why they chose West Covina, the director said that they believed the city was a good setting for Good Burger with its beautiful green environment. I could not agree more. Our lovely city has always been furnished with beautiful plants, clean streets, polite neighbors, and much more. Thus, it is nice to see West Covina get the recognition it deserves by being in this movie.