Categories:

MECA Music: A Symphony

MECA Music: A Symphony

Who listens to music? Chances are that just about everyone does, they all have their own exclusive genre of playlist set up to correlate to their likings. Mt. Sac Early College Academy (MECA) students were interviewed on Tuesday, October 14 to figure out what music is taking over MECA at this current moment in time, delving into timberwolf culture to better relate to one another. Music listening resonates with so many people and it’s such an important part to development as a person in general, as it tends to be a very emotionally correlating activity. This article seeks to gain insight to the contributions specific music artists MECA students are listening to.

After polling many MECA students ranging from freshmen to seniors, we were able to come up with a list of the top 10 most listened to music artists at the school. Coming in at Number 10 is Tyler, The Creator with his hip-hop/pop sound. With a new album on the way, he is catching traction again building up excitement for his new project. 

At the number 9 spot is Lana Del Rey who is known for her alternative pop sound, with not that much music this year she still finds herself charting very high in streams. The number 8 spot goes to Clairo, her most recent album has introduced a lot of new fans to her music making her a very relevant artist right now. Looking at number 7 we have Kanye West who has been making waves recently after hosting listening parties for his fans and selling out these shows. He is enjoyed by many people regardless if they are a new or old fan. 

Number 6 goes to Bruno Mars who has been a hot topic for the past month because of his song with lady gaga “Die with a smile”. He has been dominating the global charts and blowing up on tiktok with this hit. At number 5 is Billie Eilish with a more melancholy sound that is loved by fans. After her recent collaboration with converse combined with her recent album it is no wonder why she’s been receiving so much love. 

The number 4 spot goes to The Weeknd with a major amount of anticipation around him regarding his new album, he has released 2 singles which have both been well received by fans. Breaking into the top 3 we have Taylor Swift who has very loyal fans that will support her until the end, she is known for her iconic pop sound which people adore. Number 2 goes to Charli XCX who has impressed many with her album titled “brat”, similar to Clairo she brought in many new fans and is collaborating with many different artists to create even more music. 

Last but not least at the number 1 is Kendrick Lamar, an iconic hip hop figure who has helped pave the way for others. He is MECA’s most listened to artist as of now and continues to gain more traction as time goes on. 

“Kendrick’s Song ‘Not Like Us’, it was very unique and I think it was a great production that he made in a very little amount of time, and it just really shows his talent” MECA senior Damian Mejia chimes in on his input of Kendrick Lamar as well, commenting not only on his mastery of lyrical composition, but the production that was put into the song, noting that the song as a whole was very impressive regarding the situation he made it in, arguing with another rap artist, Drake.

Kendrick Lamar is an American artist, songwriter, rapper, and producer known for his elite skills in the music industry. Born in Compton, California, 1987, Lamar was recognized in the early 2010’s with his mixtapes and album ‘Section.80’. His following albums, ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’(2015), and ‘DAMN’.(2017), solidified his position as one of the most influential hip hop/ rap artists of his generation. He’s won numerous Grammy Awards and Pulitzer Prize for Music.

“For Kendrick, I was at a really low point and once I heard his lyrically written music, I really understood it as it was something that had spoken to me. I started listening more and more.”  MECA senior Andres Borcardo provides insight to what he bonded over his favorite artist, Kendrick Lamar, stating that he used his music as a coping strategy to help motivate himself whenever he was feeling like he was at a low point.

Despite the number one result of Kendrick Lamar, MECA students provided a wide variety of music artists across various genres. From Tyler The Creator at the number 10 spot to Kendrick Lamar at number 1, students provided a closer look into the music artists they’ve taken interest in. With results so diverse, these results are sure to give insight into the MECA culture for years to come, showing just how unique MECA music is.

Donate to The Academy Chronicle
$380
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mt. SAC Early College Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.