Categories:

From Page To Screen Comes Anger And Conflicts

The ultimate question, is the book better than the film or is the film better than the book? Let's find out in this article what the students and staffs think.
The ultimate question, is the book better than the film or is the film better than the book? Let’s find out in this article what the students and staffs think.
Image by Rena Wang

Do you prefer the movie adaptation or the books? Why do you prefer one over the other? What is the major difference between the book and the movie? Let’s find out the results!

#1 The Hunger Games

The most popular book amongst students and staff at MECA, it seems the votes for the book and the film are very different! Let’s see which one is preferred! (Image by William Liu)

The main difference between the book and film is that The Hunger Games books were narrated from the main character, Katniss Everdeen’s first-person perspective, offering an epic glimpse into her thoughts and struggles. However, the films adopt a third-person perspective, broadening the narrative but losing some emotional resonance. In conclusion, the book’s viewpoint deepens the reader’s connection to Katniss, while the films present a wider world of Panem. The Hunger Games was written by Suzanne Collins, and the film’s directors were Gary Ross and Francis Lawrence.

Differences in book versus movie: The Hunger Games books are narrated from Katniss Everdeen’s first-person perspective, offering an intimate glimpse into her thoughts and struggles. The films adopt a third-person perspective, broadening the narrative but potentially losing some emotional resonance.

Book Movie
Ethan Bymaster (9), an enjoyer of the book “The Hunger Games” says the reason he liked the book better the book is because “…the book was higher quality and like told more of that characterization.” Sophia Sanchez (9)  thought that the film was better as the characters in the book had worse emotions as they sounded more whiny while in the film Katniss sounded more calm and more furious when it came to certain scenes in the film. 

Poll Results:

Out of 50 students, the book was preferred over the movie, as the book came in with 36 votes and the movie got 14.

#2 Harry Potter

The second most popular book amongst students and staff at MECA, people have cast their votes for the book or the film. Lets see which one is preferred!

The critical difference between Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is that the film jumps into Harry’s arrival at Privet Drive, omitting Vernon Dursley’s quirky encounters that build anticipation. The shift alters the tone and pacing, leaving fans divided over the portrayal of the Dursleys. The book provides a deeper understanding of the Dursleys, enriching the narrative. J.K. Rowling is the author of Harry Potter, and the film’s directors were Chirs Columbus, Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates.

Differences in book versus movie: In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the film jumps into Harry’s arrival at Privet Drive, omitting Vernon Dursley’s quirky encounters that build anticipation. The shift alters the tone and pacing, leaving fans divided over the portrayal of the Dursleys.

Book Movie
Makenna Chung (9), an enjoyer of the Harry Potter books, says the reason she liked the books more is because they’re “written from different points of view, where you can see more emotion.”

Johan Cordero, the Spanish 1 and 2 teacher, prefers the films over the books because “the [books] just provide more information, more detail which makes it…[drag] on and [be] boring at times.” The films, he says, “takes the best parts [of the books] and makes it a shorter version.”

Poll Results:

Out of 50 students, the books were preferred over the movies as the books came in with 33 votes and the movie got 17.

#3 The Lord of the Rings

Being the least popular book amongst students and staff at MECA, not everyone has seen the book and the film… Lets see which one is preferred! (Image by Rena Wang)

There are quite a few lore differences between the books and the movies. The books provides more extensive and detailed accounts of the characters, locations, and events, while the cinema condenses and streamlines the story due to time constraints. The author of the books was J.R.R. Tolkien and the director of The Lord of the Rings films is Peter Jackson.

Differences in book versus movie: The Lord of the Rings books and movies have several differences. One major difference is the level of detail. The book provides a more extensive and detailed account of the characters, locations, and events, while the movie condenses the storyline, and streamlines the works into the beloved films they are today. Another major difference is the lack of lead character female representation in the books, whereas the movies have several female main characters.

Book Movie
Ivan Chaves (9) enjoyed the film versions of The Lord of the Rings more than the books because “of the action scene[s]…in the book I feel like I can’t picture the same thing.”

Another student claimed that they enjoyed The Lord of the Rings books better than the films because “the books have enormous details, including how the characters looked and the environment.”

Poll Results:

Out of 50 students, only 26 read the book and watched the film, ending with the final result of 13 votes for books and 13 for films.

In the end, both The Hunger Games and Harry Potter books won by a landslide, but unfortunately for The Lord of the Rings, only a few people had both read the book and watched the film, and the only votes we got had a tie.

Donate to The Academy Chronicle
$370
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mt. SAC Early College Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.