The Student News Site of Mt. SAC Early College Academy

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

The Academy Chronicle

The MECA Pancake Breakfast was Flipping Delicious!

Image by Alicia Flores
Christian Aleman and Mark Dinsmore (foreground) and Joaquin Martinez, Marlon Mallari, Adrian Cordon, Gaby Jacobo, and Cai Leung (background) enjoying the Pancake Breakfast.

What better way is there to kick off the ’23-’24 school year than with a free smorgasborg of freshly made pancakes!? Well, at MECA, we think the Pancake Breakfast is the perfect start to the year!

Early in the morning of September 1st, students and staff enjoyed warm pancakes and eggs as members of the Elks Lodge, joined by volunteer parents and WCUSD Food Services, helped prepare and serve. 

While our school has been open for six years, we have only hosted the event since the ‘21-’22 school year. We owe our gratitude to the members of the West Covina Elks Lodge who came as volunteers to cook pancakes for the students.

As the man in charge, Joe Chavez, “love[s] doing it. This is one of my favorite charities to do; I love coming to the schools.”  He has been an Elks Lodge member for seven years now and has been volunteering for the Pancake Breakfast events at local schools for the last three years. “We usually do it at the beginning of the year for a lot of the schools, and then we do it at the end of the year when school is over.”

The volunteers aren’t the only ones who love this event. U.S. history and ASB teacher, Tiffany Wilcox, expressed, “My hopes for this pancake breakfast are to build community and to feed all of the Timberwolves.”

Chris Rose, a substitute teacher who was lucky enough to make it told his 3rd period class, “Yeah, it was great. And there’s that special guy who gives you the syrup. I thought that was pretty funny … I don’t have pancakes very often.”

Groups of students were able to hang out before school, eating, laughing, and generally enjoying themselves. One group of freshmen in particular had a lot to say. As a group, they felt that the event was “ kind of overrated” even though when they went on to rate it individually the scores went from a high of 9 to a low of 3. No matter what, the freshmen unanimously agreed that they would return next year for the event. 

“The pancakes are actually good! They’re not stiff. Shoutout to the kitchen! Love them!” said Ka’Risma Lockhart, senior transfer student, with a plate puddled with syrup.

Later on in the morning, Elks Lodge member Angel gets a lot of benefits out of volunteering and serving students breakfast. “Wonderful feeling knowing that we are contributing, secondly knowing that they’re getting educated, especially here in the school,” he explained. “We participate in numerous schools in our community.”

It’s clear that all volunteers, students, and staff enjoyed this year’s Pancake Breakfast. While this is the seniors’ last year attending the Pancake Breakfast, the school hopes it will continue to be a staple to starting off each new school year. 

• Carlos and the other Elks Lodge members work hard to feed our Timberwolves.

Image by Jared Jimenez
  • (left to right) Jennifer Pham, Abriel, Jennifer Ngo, and Karren Zhuang enjoy eachother’s company.

Image by Jared Jimenez
  • (left to right) Sophie Moreno, Ariatna Maldonado, Karen Sanchez talk over breakfast in outside of Ms. Sparuge’s classroom.

Image by Jared Jimenez
  • Marlon Mallari, Joaquin Martinez, Adrian Cordon, Gaby Jacobo, and Cai Leung enjoy their meals together. Meanwhile, Jared Jimenez and Sidney Baise compare photos.

Image by Orlando Marin
  • West Covina Elks Lodge member pours pancake batter on a hot grill.

• (left to right) Benjamin Liu, Matthew Diaz, and Gunner Espalin take a break from their meal to pose.

Image by Jared Jimenez
  • (right to left) Victoria Virgen, Liana Mayo, Daulton Lista, and Julia Pollard converse over their meals.

Image by Alicia Flores
  • Sophomore Jared Jimenez makes a funny face while in line for pancakes. “The pancakes were scrumdiddlyumptious,” he reports.

• West Covina Elks Lodge member blends the pancake mixture with a power tool.

Image by Jared Jimenez
  • Food services staff member, Tania De Anda serves art teacher Elizabeth Hoffman her breakfast.

• One by one, puddles of pancake batter are dropped on the grill, soon-to-be delicious pancakes.

• Sean Bynum, hunched over his food, glances at the camera.

Image by Sidney Baise
  • Parent volunteer pours a generous helping of syrup for Jayden On.

• Jocelyn Flores, Taylor Clark, Audrey Arce, Sophia Alonzo, Bryan Rosales, Maab, and Monia Masri huddle together in deep conversation,

Image by Jared Jimenez
  • Sofia Hernandez, Julia Hernandez, Jared Jimenez, and Talia Soto gossip amongst themselves while Mackenzie Diaz leans over, eavesdropping.

Image by Alicia Flores
  • Teachers Elizabeth Hoffman, Savannah Sprague, Crystal Guevara, Tiffany Wilcox, and Tiffany Banh huddle together for a photo.

Image by Alicia Flores