Categories:

Freshmen Friday – Savannah Banuelos

The first Freshman Friday of the 2024-25 school year!
Savannah Banuelos, a young up and coming artist!
Image by Jared Jimenez

Savannah Banuelos is a freshman attending MECA (Mt. SAC Early College Academy). She’s extremely passionate towards her art. Since she was 11 (back in 2020), she’s had a fascination for the arts, drawing especially.

Savannah explains how she grew a passion for art,  “I was like, probably 10-11ish when I started really starting to like draw more; being more creative and getting more into it.”

Savannah found it interesting how these talented artists could visualize something and then create it out of nothing, as if it were a magic trick. She believes it’s special how this talent is shown to others who inspire more people. “I usually just found I felt a bit interesting how people can create stuff out of…nothing, just a picture in your head…and it comes out like something so special.”

Of course like anything else, art has evolved since its creation. We have multiple kinds of art and expression like theater, music, paintings, film, etc. And even in all of these different types of art, there are different genres, different techniques, styles, different instruments. But in Savannah’s case, she enjoys drawing the most and a popular debate that artists talk about is between digital and traditional art.

Savannah has gone on record saying that she prefers traditional art as opposed to digital. She explains, “traditional, for sure, it’s way easier. But  I don’t want to get rid of the traditional way, because [it’ll] always be traditional.”

To a beginner artist who might like it as a hobby, all this might sound like a lot. It could be overwhelming especially when they start comparing themselves to others who may be on a higher level then they are in that moment. They might think that they aren’t good enough and that they should just stop trying because they think they’ll never be that great. 

Savannah responds to this by saying to never give up, “you gotta keep going at it, like you’re to get better. It’s anything you ever do, you gotta keep going at it.”

Right now, Savannah is part of MECA’s The Academy Chronicle (TAC) Media program. She has been using her art alongside news stories and articles. You may have spotted some of her work already in past stories on our website. 

Savannah has definitely shown that she is a great up and coming artist. And if her work is anything to go by, then she has a very bright future ahead waiting for her.

Donate to The Academy Chronicle
$370
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mt. SAC Early College Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.