Freshman Friday – Jocelyn Lee

Jocelyn Lee is excited to be attending MECA!
Image by Desiree Vazquez

Driven and cheerful Freshman Jocelyn Lee is happy to be part of Mt. SAC Early College Academy. She first heard of MECA through her friend, sophomore Sofia Hernandez. After hearing about how wonderful the school is and the college class you can take, she was more than excited to attend MECA.

She says, ”I like that it’s like a small community because the teachers are really caring and everyone’s really welcoming.” She believes that because it’s a small school, you get to grow closer with the students here and your bond with the staff members and teachers as well. 

One of her favorite teachers here is Ms.Torres. She explains,“I like Miss Torres because she makes an effort to get to know us.” She loves doing lab experiments and data collection in Biology because she gets to learn about different things.

Her plan is to take college classes over the summer and apply to programs that will help her achieve her goal of becoming a dermatologist, ”I plan to become a dermatologist and help people with skin issues, and I’d like to graduate from a good medical school.” Although balancing college classes and after school activities is hard, she believes that she can overcome hard challenges and persevere through it.

Jocelyn has also been actively involved in many programs such as hosting a donation drive for priceless pets (pet shelters) and has fundraised for children’s hunger fund and world vision. She shares, “I started volunteering because I like [taking care] of dogs and spending time with people who have the same passion as me.” Volunteering has allowed her to build friendships and help both animals and people.

Jocelyn is delighted to be part of the MECA community and the amazing experiences to come in the future.