Freshman Friday – Katelyn Chung

Freshman Katelyn is very excited to be part of the MECA Timberwolves.
Image by Desiree Vazquez

Katelyn Chung is a kind and friendly freshman here at Mt. SAC Early College Academy. She first heard of MECA through her older sister, Michaela Chung, who was a former valedictorian in 2023. Katelyn also has a cousin attending here as well, senior Cai Leung. She loves the small and close-net school environment and the opportunity to take different college classes. 

“I like how many opportunities we have here like taking college courses, and I also like that I don’t have to walk far to get to my classes since they are close to each other,” stated Katelyn.

Inspired by her older sister, Katelyn has set a goal to go for her Associate degree and is also planning to take trigonometry college class during the fall semester. Katelyn is already getting ready to balance out her college classes saying ”I think if I get a solid studying plan and manage my time better, then it’ll make college classes less stressful than they should be.”

In the meantime Katelyn keeps busy during school with all the clubs she has joined. She has joined Key Club, Jewelry Club, Investing Club, and Cat Club. Katelyn  keeps herself active outside of school as she ice skates, cooks, and paints for fun in her free time.

Loving art and painting, she also has been enrolled in the Ceramics class here at MECA. She’s been loving the clay and the wheel-throw. “Ceramics is my favorite class since I can make a lot of different pieces with clay and I love to wheel-throw.” Katelyn is planning on taking Ceramics for all 4 years of attending MECA.

Along with all the clubs she has joined Katelyn is also on the MECA dance team. Katelyn has shared the routine of the dance team saying how it,” Starts at 4, we run and do stretches which take about an hour combined. For the rest of the practice, we condition and then practice/learn routines. Throughout the week, we switch between the different routines we’re learning”. She loves dance practices as she has her group of friends with her. The dance team practices are held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 4pm after school. 

Overall Katelyn is loving her experience here at MECA and is looking forward to new fun learning experiences while staying busy and satisfied in all her school clubs and dance practices.